Tourism minister: No market change since bin Laden’s killing

No cancellations have been reported for Antigua & Barbuda’s tourism industry so far, in response to an international travel alert issued following Sunday’s killing of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, according to Tourism and Civil Aviation Minister John Maginley.

“There has been no market change in our arrivals,” he said. “We haven’t seen anybody cancelling or any of these kinds of things.”

On Wednesday, the US State Department reinforced its worldwide travel advisory for Americans stating that they should be aware of the enhanced potential for anti-American violence, given recent counter terrorism activity in Pakistan.

It said too that US government facilities worldwide remain at a heightened state of alert.

Maginley told The Daily OBSERVER that he, along with local airport and security officials, are closely monitoring the situation.

“We have to be vigilant and aware and just follow all the briefs from the (Transportation Security Administration) TSA and the border protection of England but none of them have changed anything from last week,” he said.

“They haven’t said you need to do more things or you need to do things differently. Basically the message is, do what you’re doing but be vigilant.”

The minister described that situation as “very fluid” while noting, “something could happen tomorrow and change everything I say today.”

He added, “Our conversation with our security people and our airport people is be aware, don’t overreact and we take it day by day.”