MUMBAI, India (CMC) – Kolkata Knight Riders are sweating on the future of their champion bowler Sunil Narine, after the West Indies off-spinner underwent a new round of tests on his action last weekend.
Narine was reported by match officials for having a suspected illegal bowling action, following the contest against Sunrisers Hyderabad in the Indian Premier League last Wednesday.
The IPL said while Narine was still eligible to continue bowling, he was allowed to “request a biomechanical analysis of the deliveries in question at the ICC and BCCI accredited testing facility, the Sri Ramachandra Arthroscopy and Sports Science Centre in Chennai.”
KKR captain Gautam Gambhir described the situation as “unsettling and disturbing” and said the franchise was hoping for a positive outcome.
“The management was satisfied after he got through the last tests successfully, and hence we were playing him, the umpires have only reported certain deliveries, and I hope it comes out well for us,” he said.
“It is unsettling and disturbing but we do not have a choice; we have to deal with the issue. The attack has always revolved around him, but if we do not play him, we will have to wait and see what can be done.”
Results of the latest tests should be known by Tuesday.
Only earlier this month, the 26-year-old Narine successfully underwent tests at the Sports Science Centre, in order to be eligible for the new IPL season.
He was twice reported during the Champions League Twenty20 last October subsequently banned from bowling in the final.
After rehabilitation on his action, Narine was cleared by the International Cricket Council-approved University of Loughborough last month following successful tests there, but the BCCI demanded the Trinidadian undergo their tests before turning out for KKR.
Narine has struggled this season, taking just two wickets at an average of 73 in five outings.