Guiana mangrove clearing issue referred to Cabinet

Cabinet is today to consider what action, if any, will be taken against those who illegally cleared mangroves on Guiana Island.

Chairman of the Development Control Authority (DCA), Dean Jonas says his board met on the issue on Tuesday and decided to refer the matter to the Minister of Environment, Molwyn Joseph.

Jonas says, because of the seriousness of the matter, Joseph will today address the issue in Cabinet where a decision will be taken.

Senior environment officer Ruleta Camacho, on Saturday, told the Observer media that permission was not granted for the clearing. She also confirmed that the environment impact assessment has not been completed for the EC$2 billion project which Yida International plans for the site it acquired last year.

The Environment Division was to decide an action on Monday but afterwards Chief environment officer, Dianne Black-Layne referred Observer media to the DCA.

Chinese firm – Yida acquired the site for a reported US$60 million from Standford liquidators last year.

Within 24 hours of the ABLP securing victory on June 12th 2014 general elections, Prime Minister Gaston Browne inked a deal on the project.

Last week, the ABLP administration passed a new environmental bill through the Lower House of Parliament promising to treat issues of the environment with the highest regard.