Government has announced plans to launch Carnival 2015 at the end of February.
The announcement was made by head of the Festivals Commission, Cliff Williams, who said the early launch would be better for the summer festival.
“In the past, government would appoint the chairman, probably around February leading up to carnival. So, now we can launch earlier. We can capture the pre-fetes as part of our listing of activities leading up to carnival,” he said.
He noted the commission would be hosting a media launch on February 26 and the public launch will take place two days later on Redcliff Street.
Williams said all the stakeholders would be involved in the launch of the summer festival, as is customary.
“There will be soca artists, calypsonians and display for the mas’ troupes, and that’s just to start the whole festive atmosphere…,” he added.
Meantime, Williams said preparations are well underway for Barbuda’s carnival, ‘Caribana,’ which will be launched on March 7.
According to Williams, Caribana’s budget is about $400, 000.
The money will be channeled through the Festivals Commission.
Meantime, Minister of Culture Paul ‘Chet’ Greene announced on Saturday that members of the Pan Association and Mas Association can expect to receive some payments for the 2014 festival, starting next week.
Greene said the decision was taken in Cabinet last week.
He told OBSERVER media that as early as Wednesday next week, government hopes to pay a fraction of the cost as early as Tuesday. “The issue of outstanding payment is regrettable and really forms a part of the fiscal crunch of government and the country at the moment,” he said.
(More in today’s Daily Observer)