Full statement: John Ashe collapsed several times leading up to his death

Dr Anilla Cherian, widow of Dr John Ashe (Source: www.youtube.com)

The family of a former Antigua and Barbuda ambassador to the UN has released a statement, following his death.

Dr John Ashe, a former president of the UN general assembly, was killed by a barbell weight, while he remained under investigation over corruption claims by the US authorities.

He passed away on June 22 at home in Dobbs Ferry, Westchester, NY.

Dr Ashe’s widow, Dr Anilla Cherian, says in a statement that it was the third time that her husband had been found collapsed at their home.

Days after his death was confirmed, the widow revealed that their younger son had, on April 25th and again on April 28th, found Ashe collapsed and unresponsive.

Both times, he was taken by ambulance to the hospital and received emergency medical treatment, the statement read.

The third episode was on June 22nd and led to his untimely death.

Westchester County’s medical examiner, said the cause of death – traumatic asphyxia – was determined during an autopsy, according to the Daily Mail.

The police department said the death appears accidental, but provided little information otherwise.

The family says at the time of his passing, Ashe was under the care of a neurologist trying to determine his ailment and was awaiting the results of an MRI. He’d also had a June 25th appointment for an EEG to look into sleep deprivation .

According to the statement released Friday, Ashe and his family had been dealing with an inordinate level of stress over the past eight months, relating to the allegations leveled against him and the home detention imposed on him by the court.

The former United Nations ambassador was arrested last fall and pleaded not guilty to tax charges related to a bribery scandal. His attorney said he was planning to go to trial.



The full statement from Dr Ashe’s family is in our ever growing list. See what else might interest you on our Documents page.