Immigration Chief Annette Mark said her department has not found any record of entry for the convicted serial rapist and Dominican fugitive who was killed in Antigua, on Sunday, during an alleged shootout with police.
She said the man, Kurt “Shabba” James, who is believed to have been in his 40s, might have entered the country illegally.
“I asked the (staff) to look and they haven’t found anything so far; we are waiting to get a passport to see what is in it,” she said.
Mark told OBSERVER media that the Immigration Department checked its electronic archives which has records from 2013 coming forward.
She added that immigration officers are in the process of checking hard copy records from years prior to 2013, even though the man’s whereabouts were accounted for in Dominica up to July 2015.
It is believed that James, who has several convictions in Dominica for rape, burglary, threatening to kill someone, wounding and other offences, fled from Dominica to Barbados last year and later ended up in Antigua & Barbuda.
In July 2015, a High Court judge in Dominica issued a bench warrant for his arrest after he failed to appear in court on charges of alleged sexual misconduct. He was on bail at the time.
Local police said they went to James’s Carlisle apartment around mid-morning Sunday to execute a search warrant. They alleged that James opened fire on them and he was shot after they returned fire. He was pronounced dead on arrival at Mount St John’s Medical Centre.
Lawmen said they recovered two guns and ammunition from the scene at the apartment and further, they suspect James had been committing crimes while he was in Antigua.