DAYLIGHT SHOOTOUT: Update- Gunman sparks terror on beach

Spread the love

St. John’s, Antigua -Police have released new information about the shootout they had with a man in the Yepton’s Bay area yesterday (Wednesday).

A release from Stratcom says that police on patrol observed a man carrying a “silver gun in his hand”.

They also said that he had part of his face obscured by a white T-shirt.

According to the release from Stratcom, the man opened fire on the officers as they approached him.

The gun battle, which eventually drew more than a dozen officers, took place for about two hours while two families watched.

Police were alerted to the gunman yesterday afternoon by residents from communities neighbouring Deep Bay.

The individual, who is believed to be in his 40s, was taken into custody.


A gunman who apparently fired at police during a two-hour stand-off at a secluded beach spot yesterday – in front of two terrified families – was finally cornered and captured.

Officers were forced to call for help from the Coast Guard during the incident at Yepton’s Beach in the north-west of the island.

Police spokesman Senior Sergeant William Holder said lawmen were patrolling the area around noon yesterday when they saw the man acting in a suspicious manner, loitering and wearing dark clothing.

They watched him for some time and when they eventually confronted him, he opened fire on the cops, Holder said.

The man, said to be in his 40s, reportedly ran into the bushes, close to the water’s edge, and kept officers at bay, allegedly threatening to continue shooting.

“The suspect was hiding in an area where the police couldn’t get to him on foot so the Coast Guard was called in to help and we eventually were able to capture him,” the senior sergeant said.

The arrest came around 2:30 pm. The man was in custody at Gray’s Farm Police Station up to press time last night. His weapon is yet to be found.

Holder said police have recently stepped up patrols on the country’s beaches as the tourist season swings into gear and yesterday’s incident occurred during one such patrol.

The man is said to be wanted for a number of incidents.

Meantime, Holder thanked the Coast Guard and various police units for their assistance.

He also expressed gratitude to residents, many of whom called into OBSERVER Radio to report the man’s suspicious behaviour on the beach.

leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.