The 2011 Inter-Schools Netball Competition has been pushed back to a later date according to co-ordinator Joyce O’Donoghue who told OBSERVER Sports that the opening date was originally set for January 13.
However, as the courts at the YMCA Complex are not in playing condition, the competition had to be postponed.
O’Donoghue said the courts were in desperate need of being cleaned. She said that the surfaces were slippery and very dangerous to the players and umpires. She also complained that all the nets were missing from the posts.
The netball co-ordinator said there will be four divisions this season: 13 and Under; Under 13 Primary; Under 16 and Under 18.
A total of 21 teams overall – seven teams in the 13 and Under; three in Under 13 Primary; another seven in Under 16 and seven more in Under 18 – will compete.
Unfortunately, the competition is not being sponsored for the second consecutive year.
Jennings Secondary won the Under 13 division last year. Keisha Francis was voted the Under 13 MVP and Princess Margaret was the most disciplined team in this category.
Pares Secondary won the Under 16’s, while Portia Davis was the Under 16 MVP, and Jennings Secondary were the most disciplined.
Antigua Girls’ High walked away with the Under 18 title. Careish Whyte received the Under 18 MVP award and Sea View Academy were the most disciplined Under 18’s.