PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, July 11, CMC – Trinidad and Tobago police said Wednesday that they had detained two men, including an 18-year-old youth in connection with the illegal removal of cash from the bank accounts of customers through the use of Automatic Teller Machines (ATM).
Police spokesman Sergeant Wayne Mystar told the daily news briefing that the men, ages 27 and 18, were detained on Tuesday.
“The officers are working closely with the Bankers Association of Trinidad and Tobago to identify persons who are affected and this is in relation to the offences relative to the ATM a couple days ago,” he told reporters.
Earlier this week, the Bankers Association of Trinidad and Tobago (BATT) urged the public not to panic after banks operating here uncovered the scam. The banks have not disclosed how much money had been removed under the illegal operations.
BATT president Richard Young, speaking on radio here, said that several customers had been affected after their accounts were targeted by people who used technology to capture information from their cards and used them at ATMs to withdraw money.
He said cameras set up in the banks had captured the images of six people involved in the illegal operations and that the photos had been turned over to law enforcement officials.
“I believe we are on top of it and I want to re-assure the public it is not a question of any bank computer system being hacked into or any of this sort and I want to apologise again to those people who we have really caused some inconvenience.
“But you know this phenomenon is not unique to Trinidad and Tobago. It is something that is worldwide and I believe that as an industry locally we have moved fairly quickly and have dealt with it.” Young said.
The police said they are searching for four more suspects in connection with the incident.
Young said the banks have no evidence of a regional or international ring operating the scam “at this stage”.