Mother and son die in Bathlodge

The Bathlodge home of the family of five, including Natasha and Kyle Ladoo, who were reportedly overcome by noxious fumes from a generator. (OBSERVER media)

The Bathlodge home of the family of five, including Natasha and Kyle Ladoo, who were reportedly overcome by noxious fumes from a generator. (OBSERVER media)

A neighbour, who doesn’t want to be identified, says that about 3:45 this morning her husband heard a shout in Bathlodge and went to see what it was.

She says that about 4:10 he came back reporting that two people, a mother and her teen-aged son, seemed to have been overcome by fumes from a backup electricity generator. That, though, has not been officially determined.

The mother was declared dead by a doctor at the scene. The son was taken by ambulance to hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

The father and another teenage son were given oxygen by the emergency medical services, but it’s understood that they were not too badly affected by the noxious fumes, as they were in an area where the gas was less concentrated.

A total of five are said to have lived in the house – a mother, father, and three children. The son who died, his elder brother, and younger sister.

Observer Media is being told that the daughter was visiting relatives, and the mother and son who died were said to both be asthma sufferers.

The police were still at the house well after 10am and a hearse hadn’t arrived to take the body away.

Pin It

59 thoughts on “Mother and son die in Bathlodge

  1. ARE PEOPLE SO …INSENSITIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO THESE
    STUPID …PEOPLE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THIS FAMILY IS GOING THROUGH ????????
    THEY ARE COMMENTING ON A GENERATOR AND SAYING SOMETHING ISN’T RIGHT
    ARE SOME ANTIGUANS SO ILLITERATE ??????????????? CAN THEY REALLY UNDERSTAND
    THE LOSS THE FAMILY IS FEELING , CAN YOU UNDERSTAND HOW THE CHILDREN ARE
    FEELING TO LOSE A MOTHER AND A BROTHER ????? A MAN HAS LOST HIS WIFE AND HIS SON AND NOW HAS TO BE STRONG ENOUGH TO MOVE ON AND TAKE CARE OF THE REST OF HIS FAMILY . PEOPLE NEED TO STOP BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL AND PAY
    ATTENTION TO THEIR OWN … PROBLEMS

    +13

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -2Popular!

    • Amen to that. Some people just stupid and will find stupidest to gossip about in inappropriate times. Lord have mercy.

      +4

      Vote +1

      Vote -1

      -1

  2. My heart goes out to family,it is really sad but let’s be real ,no one put a generator in a house,that is deadly. Plus, u cannot stop people to have their option, that does not mean u are not sympathizing. God does not do bad things to his children, our decision put us in hot water. God bless this family in times of sorry….

    +4

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -1

  3. Concerned National July 14, 2014 at 12:53 - Reply

    My heart goes out to this family on this unfortunate tragedy. I think it’s time that all home owner’s in our nation make it a priority to have smoke and carbon dioxide detectors in our homes. Maybe the government need to make this a national law.

    +5

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    0Popular!

    • That should be carbon-monoxide detectors; carbon-dioxide is naturally a part of air. Both gases are colourless and odorless; hence a mechanism other than smell is required for detection of the deadly carbon-monoxide.

      0

      Vote +1

      Vote -1

      0

  4. educate the readership July 14, 2014 at 12:51 - Reply

    In the interest of responsible reporting…the article’s author should note that the presence of carbon monoxide is not determined through “noxious fumes”. Subsequently the survival of the other members of the family isn’t by virtue of the fact that they weren’t overcome by ‘noxious fumes’ in an area where the gas was ‘less concentrated’. In fact carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless and so not smelling fumes should NOT lead one to think all is well. These are opportunities not simply to report the news but to also protect and educate others…don’t squander the opportunity.

    +8

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -1Popular!

  5. We need to stop blame one another it is coming to the end of time ,yes it is sad when I heard it I feel so bad for that family but when I found out how it was I even feel it more because I know the mother very well but GOD knows best ,so we need to wake up and ask the lord to keep us in his arms

    +4

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    0

  6. Sadly, these things only happen to poor people. I can wunderstand the desperation of a family who loses their electricity and need to get certain b
    asic things done such as ironing. Hopefully this sad experience should be one for all of us to
    learn from.

    0

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -6Controversial!

  7. SOME IS MISSING THE POLICE NEED TO RETRACK THEIR STEP SOMETHING IS NOT LOOKING TOO RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!

    +2

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -6

  8. family in mourning July 13, 2014 at 14:44 - Reply

    just wish my aunt and cousin were still here our family will NEVER be the same. God is in control

    +10

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -2Popular!

  9. now am readin this sad article i now remembering where i met her…………. very pleasant lady she works at the airport

    +7

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    0Popular!

  10. God knows vest UT is very sad. Condolences goes out to the family especially the father and children.

    +7

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -1Popular!

  11. i am so sadden,shock,ppl of antigua we need to cry out to GOD our nation taking a change that is not good,we need to get back to GOD

    +9

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    0Popular!

  12. This is so tragic. Only last week I met and greeted the lady in the V.C Bird Parking lot. Such a pleasant lady. Such a tragedy. My sincere condolences.

    +11

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    0Popular!

  13. close by neighbor July 12, 2014 at 16:37 - Reply

    sympathies to the family….but we are clearly missing the point here…..
    in all my life, I have never heard of anymore putting a generator in a house..! REALLY?????
    like, who does that??

    +16

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -16Hot Debate!

    • It’s people like u the close by neighbor y people put their generator in their house .Maybe they were afraid you would report them to APUA.

      +10

      Vote +1

      Vote -1

      -5Popular!

      • I share your views but the article said nothing about a generator being in the house . All i ask is that as close as they are Just give their condolence and just be quiet. Until the article put that information out lets just sympathies with the family.

        +4

        Vote +1

        Vote -1

        0

    • The article this morning CLEARLY states that the generator was in the bathroom. We can bury our heads in the sand and pretend but I think THIS IS the right time to discuss why t not to place a generator in an enclosed house.

      My condolences to the family but we need to learn from this tragic event so that it does not happen again, next year, in 5, 10, 15, or 20 years!

      0

      Vote +1

      Vote -1

      0

      • I had known before the article came out about the bathroom. And now I see it in the article and my view is that it was really stupid of whom ever to do something like that and I share your views let this be a lesson to every one.

        0

        Vote +1

        Vote -1

        0

  14. Father be with the. This appears to me to be some awakening. We need to give our lives to Christ.

    +14

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -1Popular!

  15. citizen of Antigua by birth July 12, 2014 at 12:38 - Reply

    I am so so sorry to hear, my condolences goes out to the family and friends, I know exactly how they feel, I just lost my aunt on Wednesday

    +9

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -1Popular!

  16. Vanda Gardner/Very sad July 12, 2014 at 12:11 - Reply

    This is so sad, the son was a close friend of my son….and it was a very difficult task as a parent to deliver such bad news. Words can’t convey how I feel, I pray that the peace of God just soothes the rest of the family.

    +16

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    0Popular!

  17. Local foreigner July 12, 2014 at 10:22 - Reply

    APUA should be held responsible for all of that! If they provide the power like they should, they still would be fine…

    +10

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -45Controversial!

  18. This is so tragic. It is bad enough to lose one, but two family members at the same time. So unfortunate.

    +5

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    0Popular!

  19. Mae Bloomfield July 12, 2014 at 09:55 - Reply

    What is going on in Bathlodge? A few houses away, isn’t that where Charles “Bush” Hughes was found dead in the wee hours of the morning with his throat punctured?

    0

    Vote +1

    Vote -1

    -6Controversial!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>