ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Police are relying on investigations by Antigua Public Utilities Authority (APUA) to determine whether anyone is criminally responsible for the death by electrocution of Swetes resident Xavier “Madson” Jackson.
Police reports are that the 17-year-old student of Antigua & Barbuda Institute of Continuing Education (ABICE) died on the scene in a pasture yesterday morning “when he came into contact with a portion of (a) shop which is constructed out of galvanize, which apparently had some electrical flaws.”
A Swetes resident told OBSERVER Media the galvanized wall was electrified by an alleged illegal connection leading from a house to the snackette on the same plot of land. The source said she was not certain whether the homeowners also operated the snackette.
APUA officials yesterday disconnected the electrical wires from the eatery following the incident. Sources at APUA said the utilities company did not do the electrical connection.
Witnesses said Jackson was attempting to tie the family’s donkey to a pole at the eatery when his right hand came into contact with the galvanized sheet that was nailed to a wall outside the business.
Both he and the donkey began “shaking.” The animal escaped injury but reports indicate when a male friend of the deceased tried to rescue him, he (the friend) too suffered electrical shock and had to step away.
(More in today’s Daily OBSERVER)