ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Sir Gerald Watt QC says he is looking forward to his court battle against government and the electoral commission on behalf of two former employees who were controversially transferred.
Sir Gerald, a former electoral commission chairman, is holding legal brief for Eren Francis and Karen Manwarren who were transferred from the commission and assigned to posts within government ministries.
The decisions were taken in late 2010 by the interim commission chairman Bruce Goodwin on the strength of a Cabinet recommendation whose legality is also being challenged.
Sir Gerald says he is puzzled that the respondents which include the prime minister and the present electoral commission chairman have so far not put in any evidence for the case.
The case is due to be heard on July 25 and Sir Gerald says in the absence of any evidence being entered by the respondents, he will be paying very close attention to any attempts they make to cross examine his clients.
Former electoral commission chairman Sir Gerald Watt.
Efforts to contact the commission’s lawyer or lawyers representing the government were unsuccessful.