Former hotel employee pleads guilty to break-in
Jason Minott was convicted, fined and placed on probation for two years when he appeared in the St John’s Magistrates’ Court.
Minott who initially pleaded not guilty to attempted break-in, eventually changed his plea to guilty after the investigating officer testified in the case.
Chief Magistrate Joanne Walsh imposed a $500 fine on the 23-year-old man who was ordered to pay the money immediately or be imprisoned for six months.
Minott a resident of Pigotts Village, on Sunday, November 11, 2010, forced his way into room 707 at the Grand Sandals Resort & Spa at Dickenson Bay by prying open a western glass door to the room occupied by an English couple. At that time the male visitor was tending his sick wife when he heard the door being forced open. After Minott entered the room the visitor held him and a struggle ensued between them, however, the Jamaican national, a former employee of the resort, managed to escape.
The police were notified of the incident and visited room where the incident took place. Investigations were conducted and the lawmen observed where Minott used force to pry the glass door open. The officers also saw several leaves scattered on the balcony where the young man climbed over to enter the room. He was later arrested and charged.
Walsh commented on the fact that the offender wore gloves at the time. She told him that he embarrassed the country and the hotel.
Minott, who is not known to the court, was 21 when he committed the offence.
The accused was represented by attorney Lawrence Daniels.
Repeat offender charged with battery, resisting arrest
After being warned less than a month ago not to return before the court, Steve Erskine has yet again found himself in trouble and before Chief Magistrate Joanne Walsh.
Erskine was reprimanded and discharged on the last occasion for being armed with a knife and using threatening language.
This time around he is charged with trespassing, battery and resisting arrest.
Erskine, who admitted to using drugs, said he has not used any illegal substance for a few weeks, begged the court not to send him to prison and denied committing the offences.
Walsh told the Bolans man that she was sending him to the Mount St John’s Medical Centre for a complete physical since he accused the police of beating him. The chief magistrate also wants to find out what types of drugs are in the accused man’s system.
Erskine was advised previously not to go on the Jolly Harbour compound and a report was made to the Bolans Police Station by guests at the resort that he was lurking in the vicinity of their room.
The case has been adjourned to October 24.