The child, Zamyra Salmon, was rushed to Mount St John’s Medical Centre approximately 9:15 pm and her mother, Kelesha Octave, reportedly told medical officials she tripped and fell into a pot of hot water that was on the kitchen floor.
“According to doctors’ reports; the injuries are very serious and life-threatening. The infant suffered second-degree burns to her back, chest, and the lower parts of her body; which were left without the epidermis,” the police said.
Investigators also said doctors reported that, taking into consideration the nature of the injuries, they are guarding against certain risk factors which normally surround such injuries, such as fluid management, risk of infection, and pain management.
The police press statement that furnished the aforementioned details did not indicate the reason the pot was on the floor or whether the parent was in the kitchen when the incident occurred.
The family reportedly called 911 several times without successs and it was a neighbour, who works with Emergency Medical Services (EMS) who eventually drove them to the hospital.
Hospital officials reported the matter to police in accordance with rules governing the work of both groups.
Given the child’s condition, sources said the mother has not been detained and has been allowed to visit her daughter at the medical centre and participate in her patient care in an isolated room on the Children’s Ward.
(More in today’s Daily OBSERVER)