NOTTINGHAM, England, May 23, CMC – Fiery fast bowler Tino Best says he will be looking utilise his knowledge of English conditions once called upon in the three-Test series against England.
The 30-year-old was a late call-up to the touring party here after rookie speedster Shannon Gabriel was ruled out of the squad with a back injury.
“What I have to do, and what I am fully aware of is how to put that knowledge to work,” Best said.
“I’m a hard worker and I’m really delighted to get this opportunity.”
The Barbadian made his international debut nine years ago but has so far only played 14 Test matches and 12 One-Day Internationals in a disjointed career.
Following a successful first class season for Barbados, he was called up to the One-Day International squad to face Australia but did not play a single match.
Only Monday, he was named in a 13-man West Indies A squad to face India A but was quickly called up to the senior team once Gabriel was forced out.
“I’m very happy to be recalled to the Test squad for the series in England. I’ve been waiting for my opportunity to represent the West Indies again and this is another chance to wear the ‘Baggy Maroon’,” he said.
“I’m fit and feeling quite ready. I’ve been training and working hard, looking forward to this.
“I was in the team earlier this year when we played against Australia and I gained a lot of knowledge from being in the group. I felt I fitted in quite well and I have a good idea of the work ethic and what will be required of me.”
West Indies will face England in the second Test of the series starting Friday at Trent Bridge.
They lost the opening match at Lord’s by five wickets on Monday.