Just a few weeks ago, a 170-year-old building with the date ’1842′ etched in the corner stone above one of the entrances to the building, met its fate with the wrecking ball.
The two-storey building had been derelict for a number of years and was not only an eyesore in a predominantly tourist section of St John’s, but had been and probably still was, home to several vagrants. The place emitted a strong stench, was filled with debris and garbage and was probably infested with rats.
The building definitely needed to be removed and the area cleaned up. However, it would have been prudent to retain the lower front facade for its historical value and to incorporate it into whatever plans the owner/developer has in mind.
Since this did not happen, it is hoped that whatever building replaces ’1842,’ that the architect will bear in mind that we are in the Caribbean, that we depend on tourism and design a structure that will enhance and retain our heritage.